Tuesday 14 August 2012

Skateistan Update...

  
RDC: We have been supporting these guys from the word 'Go' and can't get enough of the great work they are doing!

About:
Skateistan began as a Kabul-based Afghan NGO (Non-Governmental Organization) and is now an International non-profit charity providing skateboarding and educational programming in Afghanistan, Cambodia and Pakistan. Skateistan is non-political, independent, and inclusive of all ethnicities, religions and social backgrounds.

Mission Statement:
To use skateboarding as a tool for empowerment:
  • in a place it hasn't existed before
  • giving young people a voice, and;
  • giving local people agency to shape projects according to need.


Student Profile: Madina
Girls' Skate Teacher
Kabul
 

"When I'm skating I feel like I'm flying and that I am free," - Madina, in a recent interview for the German Embassy online.

Let us introduce you to one of Afghanistan's coolest girls: 14-year-old Madina is one of our skate teachers and the top of her 9th grade class. Madina is definitely a high-achiever in all areas of life, whether it's school, skating, or work.

"Two years ago I joined Skateistan and in those two years I succeeded to become a skate instructor, which was my dream," she says. Madina continually stands out for her maturity, positive attitude and fearlessness while skating. One of eight siblings, Madina's been supporting her family financially since she was very young, selling scarves and chewing gum on the streets. It was while working on the streets that she first heard about Skateistan from friends. In May 2012 she was promoted from being a longtime Skateistan volunteer to one of it's staff skate teachers, coming to the park after school every day to teach other young Afghan girls.

Although now a teacher, Madina still attends the weekly creative arts workshops at Skateistan, and probably likes them even more than skating:

"I love attending classrooms in Skateistan. I remember all the subjects I have learned in each semester but mostly I like painting henna on broken skateboards as well as spray painting on skateboards. I love coming to Skateistan and now that I have become a skate instructor I feel very proud and happy. Happy because I see those kids who never get a chance to play, have fun or at least think about themselves but in Skateistan they get a chance to have fun, think about their future and meet their kind teachers."

Madina proves that youth in Afghanistan are truly capable of bringing about positive change.

Look at more... HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment