Saturday 11 August 2012

Off the Wall

Munk One


After being a big fan of Munk One and seeing his work in Juxtapoz magazine and his skateboard graphics on some well known brands over the years, we are so pleased that we finally caught up with him.

We had a light hearted chat over a coffee and this is how it went...

RDC: Hey Munk, could you tell us where you're from and where you live now please?

Sunny southern California, born and raised.


RDC: What is your chosen media and what have you tried in the past?

I don't think I have a chosen media but I would say work often using pens and ink, acrylics, spray paint, pencil on paper and digital media. I've worked with many, many other mediums including tattooing, and sculpting, although I can say I've never used oil paint which I hope to do soon.




RDC: When did you start your artistic career and why the name Munk One?

My actual professional career began when I was 19 and was hired into the art department of a major merchandise company. As far as the name, I think I had a plan to have my art stand on its own without people knowing who I was, without knowing my physical traits, race or gender and just watching their reaction to the art at shows. My own little experiment. The pseudonyme Munk One was pretty ambiguous and fit the bill.


RDC: Are you a self taught artist?

I took some classes at a city college right out of high school, but I did not take that route very far. Most of what I've learned I would say was through friends, peers and books. I'm always learning and trying new things on my own to this day so I guess you can call me a sort of artistic autodidact.




RDC: The inspiration for your art, - where do you think it came from? We know you do a lot of politically based stuff.

I think I'm inspired by the human condition and life in general. Yes I create political works all the time, but I also am inspired by music, words, books, shadows, architecture etc. I can create really dark images and at other times I just want to use color and shape or cartoon imagery. Sometimes I paint without any reason at all, just for the fun of it, I would get bored of drawing the same thing over and over, I tend to switch things up often.


RDC: You are also renowned for doing album covers and band merchandise. Could you throw us a few names of who you have worked with in the past and who you are working with at present please?

Travis Barker, Pearl Jam, Strong Arm Steady, Queensryche, Avenged Sevenfold, Bad Religion, My Chemical Romance, Blink-182, City and Colour all come to mind but there are so many others.

At this very moment im working on a poster for the band 311.




RDC: What is your preferred mode of transport?

Fire breathing dragon.


RDC: Hat on head or hair free?

Depends on the haircut but many times hats work best for me.


RDC: Give us some dates of events or exhibitions you have coming up?

Can't really give out details yet. I will release any information about shows and events on my website.

Thanks for the interview!!

Thank you Dude it's been a real pleasure to meet you.

More from Munk One... HERE




No comments:

Post a Comment