Wednesday 9 June 2010

Off The Wall


Elfin at Street Fest 10

When I first meet Elfin her work was predominately nouveau based female figures entwined round a straight razor or in a seductive position, but things are a foot.

With a sweet smile and a change of style, its time for a catch up.

R D: Hey Isy nice to see you, likin the tee. Lets kick off with the basics.

R D: When did you first think you would become an artist?

I've never looked it at it like that before. As a kid I loved colouring in, sticking and gluing. Then it get's all serious and people start talking about 'career options' so I figured I'd study graphic design, with creativity and job availability (at the time) it seemed like the sensible choice. Years later I had this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that said I'd just graduated in the wrong subject. But it's all part of the process of fine tuning things and finding out what makes you happy. I don't regret it at all. That's when I realised i wanted to draw and paint and make stuff for the sake of making it.


Window

R D: Do you experiment with different mediums and which one are you most comfortable with?

Yes but more through necessity than experimentation. If I'm doing a live art event you might have to use nontoxic paint in enclosed spaces or even chunky chisel tip markers. If a venue wants a durable mural I'll use a vinyl silk house hold paint, (which is also great for the base of a marker wall; matt paint will suck your pens dry). In my own time I dabble with aerosols and acrylics, but not often enough to be any good at them! Predominantly I use Rotring Isograph pens, thick paper and my trusty light box.


R D: Do you have any hobbies, I know your mates skateboard, have you tried that for instance?

I can't skate, however that means I'm capable of making everybody else look amazing at it. Hobbies? Er, hanging out with friends and having a jam, preferably in the sun! Seeing exhibitions at the V&A, Royal Academy and British museum. I like to check out the private views around Bricklane on the first Thurs of each month. There's so much going on all of the time in london, I like going for walks and trying to get myself lost to see what i can find. This week I went to The Prince Charles cinema in Leicester Square to see 'Machotaildrop', I didn't even know it was there, it's so cheap and central, check it out.


Board design along side Graham Mitchell, creator of the screaming fist graph for Lovenskate.

Snow Boards @ the Reebok lounge FFFB Exhibition.

Stolen Space Gallery "decked" show.


R D: Where did you get your passion for the stylized females form which is in most of your pictures?

I figured I needed to specialize in something. I got frustrated with how crap my drawings were coming out. I thought to myself; just concentrate on one thing, get good at that. I liked to draw people and loved art nouveau and manga so chose to focus on ladies. Years later i'm still trying to improve them, making adjustments with each one. I didn't realise at the time the mammoth task I'd set myself. Maybe I'll never quite catch the subtleties of beauty and grace but I feel like the girls are maturing with me.


R D: If you could pick a contemporary artist that you think most inspired the modern graffiti scene, who would it be?

I've got massive respect for writers but I don't look for inspiration in the 'modern graffiti scene'. One guy to check out is Roids; he's got techniques down which have gotten people scratching their heads. But personally I look to Graphic artists and illustrators for inspiration. I guess because I'm interested in figurative images. Check out James Jean, he's amazing, bridging the manga/comic and fine art gap to massive effect.

R D: What advise would you give a young or older artist just starting out?

Draw/paint/whatever everyday. Get involved, there's a community of artists wherever you are. It's great for inspiration and motivation to surround yourself by creative people. Check out exhibitions and events. Discover what it is that gets your attention, then you'll have a basis for the kind of thing you want to create. The more things inspire you the better. An original style comes from putting all the things you love into a big melting pot and creating something that means something to you. Also, stay positive and know that the more you draw the better you will get.


R D: Have you got anything exciting coming up in 2010?

Yes indeed! I've been having a cracking time already at events such as Street Fest. I'll be working with a lovely lot in Shangrila at Glastonbury this month and exhibiting a skate deck and Vans Chukkas at the 'Decked 2' exhibition in August.

R D: Sounds wicked, send us some pics of the deck and shoes when you get them sorted, we can preview them on the Blog.

Art Deco look.

Jenism bombs the ramps at The Street Fest 09.

R D: Where did the name Elfin come from?

I can't remember what context it was used but I liked it the first time I heard it. Not long after I signed it on a piece when painting with friends from college and never looked back. Since then I've come across the anime Elfen Lied and also the character Femlin, and think Elfin is more fitting for me than ever.


R D: Macaroni Cheese or Mars bar?

My sister makes some seriously gourmet macaroni cheese.

R D: Anyone you would like to say thanks to?

To anyone who's still reading this...
Check out her Flickr file. Click on Chezzy peas.

R D: You've been a star, and all the best for the future.

Cheers

Told ya things are a foot... sweeet!


Todger slap, leavin that to the qualified!

1 comment: