Tuesday 11 March 2014

Keepin Up With... Hostal Plaza



RDC: As a follow up to the original call out for artists at the Hostal Plaza (See link at bottom of post). We check out our first feature graffiti artist Daniel Kehily-Jones, one of the RDC Crew and our paint friends.

Here he hall-way hits, with one of his class orange Octopus, real nice to sea!

Dan’s story:
I contacted Karen at The Hostal Plaza in San Pedro (Spain) after my buddy Chris Thomas AKA Magik told me there’s a few walls left to paint. 

The the plan was to fly over to work on murals collaborated with the hostel in return for free board and lodging. After a few emails through to Karen the flights were booked and the paint bags were packed. The plan is to add murals to each and every wall until the whole building is flowing with colourful and vibrant street art. So far the hallways, roof terrace and Bedrooms were covered in street art by various artists such as Chris Thomas, Chris Wright, Binty Bint and myself. 

I had about a week of coffee induced drawings produced by pencils sharpened down to the rubber. After grabbing my Montana colour charts, caps, brushes and paint clothes I was ready. I flew to Malaga airport before making my way to San Pedro to meet up at the hostel. I met the family ran hostel and were shown around whist gazing at all the artwork on the walls. Me and Karen looked through the sketchbooks and chose deigns to suit the walls permitted to paint on. We went with a octopus and jellyfish to flow across a main hallway landing. We looked at the colour charts and decided on materials. A trip to Marbella paint shop to pick up some Montana 94's and I was ready to start throwing down the dust sheets and rolling the emulsion. The accommodation was so welcoming and friendly I felt right at home especially with street art on the walls, sun on my back and a can of 94 in my hand.
A couple days painting I was nearly ready to sign and fly. I had a couple days left to see the sights so we drove out to Gibraltar, Ronda and Puerto Banus before heading back to the hostel. We had a big send off with the gang at the all you can eat Chinese restaurant and out for drinks in the bar. The group shall be holding a street art festival on the Beach or San Pedro rumoured for this September. If so street artists will be booked, BBQ lit, Paint cans shook up and hopefully we will see you there! In the mean while contact Karen at the Hostal Plaza for a trip to paint your street art murals on walls, canvases and  rooms in return for board and lodging. 


 Sketch Book prelims...


Work in progress...


 Finally completed!



More from Dan... HERE.
More about Hostal Plaza... HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment